Do you want to start pitching publications to get your name out there as an expert, but don’t know where to start? Here are some of my best tips to get you from idea to expert!
- A great place to start with writing an effective pitch is by finding a timely topic that is happening in the world and sharing why something that you know can help people right now, as in today!
- Editors prioritize articles that include 3 -10 tips on how to (fill in the blank), much like the of this blog post! It catches the eyes of readers that resonate with the topic and frames up what they are going to be reading or learning about. Let me give you a real-time example. We unfortunately are still dealing with living through a pandemic. If you pitched business or lifestyle editors (or news desks) about navigating life/work during a pandemic and gave them three to five tips or tools that people can use to cope or thrive with the ongoing effects of pandemic living, you would have a winning article. Those tips can become talking points that you can then turn into a pitch for TV news desks.
- Make sure that in the opening of the article, you include the challenges and pain points that people are experiencing and then make your tips the solution to how they can combat their current struggles.
- At the end of your pitch, you will want to state other topics that you can speak or be interviewed on. If you have an actual article that you have written, cut and paste it into the body of the email – some editors may not open attachments and some spam filters may block your email if you have not previously emailed the editor before.
- Lastly, include a short bio showcasing yourself and where to find you – these tend to be best about 50 – 75 words in length.
We go much deeper into this in my signature 6-month Stairway to Six program. Last year’s cohort took what they learned and many were published in online and print publications. Some were even interviewed by the media. Prior to being a coach, I was a publicist, so when I say I can teach you how to be an expert, it’s because it’s what I did for nearly 20 years.
If you are interested in learning more about becoming an expert in your field, you are welcome to watch this special replay of my Coaching for Coached free community call where I lay out the steps that you need to know to be successful with the press. Watch the recording here.